Monday, October 8, 2012

The Birthing Biz

One of the big questions you face when you're pregnant is planning the big finale. Are you going to the hospital and demanding any and all pain meds they will pump into you, regardless of what the consequences of that could mean? Are you going to suck it up and bear the pain at home with just a midwife, partner and a tub of water, complications be damned? Whatever you decide, we all know that the universe thinks plans are hilarious - who knows, you may end up on an elevator with your coworkers, with someone from accounting holding your baby up to you. However it happens, the outcome will be beautiful. (You'll be giving life, for heaven's sake! And meeting your little one for the first time.) But what about the process?

Me, I'm in the middle of the extremes I mentioned before. I want to experience the entire thing, I don't want to be drugged out and experiencing unnecessary complications or pain from any meds they're giving me (possibly without asking). I want to be present, I want to own it. However, I also begrudgingly acknowledge that some of the medical advances could be helpful during the birthing process, and immediately after - especially if there truly are natural complications.

The solution that I'm happy with? A birthing center. It's a beautiful thing! It feels MUCH more like a home, but has some of the medical equipment of a hospital, has the capabilities of easily transferring you to a hospital, and is run by midwives and other hippies of the sort. In other words, they'll do anything they can to avoid inducing or a having C-section, they'll actually listen to you when you say your preferences, and they'll be as natural as possible but still keep the health and welfare of you and your baby first - they are capable of saving your life on the spot. Sign me up!

I must say, I was actually very happy with my OBGYN and it's hard to leave her for this, but stories I've heard about possible problems at a hospital didn't always have anything to do with the doctor. In fact, the doctor that I know and trust might not even be there at all! I am just so much more comfortable in a birthing center. My first appointment with them is in two weeks.

P.S. Some of you may recognize the title of this post - a play on "The Business of Being Born," which is an excellent documentary, and the reason why I ever thought of trying something besides a hospital in the first place. I highly recommend it to anyone who will be having a baby in the future, to educate yourself on possibilities and other options. Not everybody has bad experiences in the hospital, but some of the points made in the documentary seem to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment